GOW16 – Ireland
Get online week 2016 was hectic for us, as Ireland’s national holiday (St Patrick’s Day) fell in the middle of the week.
This year we focused on:
- Disseminating information about Skillage and YouRock
- Disseminating information about courses for unemployed people and young people
- Disseminating information about our community programmes aimed at seniors and disadvantaged members of society.
- Focusing on training for seniors and disadvantaged members of society.
How we achieved our goals
- We organised to set up information stands in libraries and public areas to reach as many members of the public as possible. Our information stands are usually focused in Dublin but this year we decided to reach out, and our first information stand was in Wicklow Library, Wicklow Town, Co Wicklow on Monday 14th. Following on from that we had information stands in Blanchardstown Shopping Centre on Wednesday 16th and in Blanchardstown Library on Friday 18th. We chose Blanchardstown library as it is one of the biggest libraries in Ireland and has a significant footfall.
- An event was organised for Tuesday 15th of March. It was a joint event with FIT, The Department of Communications, Business in the Community (BITC) and Business in the Community Northern Ireland (BITCNI) along with Business in the Community UK (BITCUK). The event was based in the Terenure Enterprise Centre, Dublin, the Clanmil Centre, Bangor and Click Silver, Nottingham, England. The Event was for seniors who had learned how to use the internet to improve their communication and enable them to navigate the world around them facilitated by technology. The event was a great success. (You will find a short video attached)
- We had Benefit IIII training take place in a number of other telecentres during the week including Ballymun Jobs club and Ballymun Adult Read & Write.